Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Imperitive and Recommendation

I realize that I may have made an error in my previous post.

The command do onto others as you would have others do onto you, is an actionable statement.
The command do not do to others what you don't want, is actually not an actionable statement.

So in my previous analysis, the selfishness a person believing golden rule, is commanded to make others people believe the rule.

The silver rule on the other hand, says "If I don't believe it, do not force others to believe" This is weaker than what I had said in my previous post. Under mixed situation, one golden and silver follower, golden will try to convert silver into golden, but silver will simply not try to convert golden into golden. (as opposed to persuading him away from golden as I had said previously). So in that analysis, silver lives a lessair fair life, where as golden tries to convert every one.

Also, there is a small bug in the utilities calculation. The utilities should be calculated over the whole population (given the way the analysis went) so the tables with utilities should have been



I WantOthers WantGolden Rule WinSilver Rule Win
YY12
YN-12
NY10
NN12



and



I WantOthers WantProbability in RealityGolden Rule WinSilver Rule Win
YY012
YN1-12
NY010
NN012


respectively, but that is a monotonic increase of one, so all extrema in the analysis remain the same.

No comments: